Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Family-ar Faces


Family.  Sand castles.  Sun.  Rain.  Mojitos.  PAELLA!


It might be the best spot in all of Michigan.

Auntie Terri and Uncle Brian hosted Sunday lunch this week.  Auntie Terri had called and invited Steve and I over for lunch saying she was making paella.  When you hear those words, you never say no.

Paella.  Now, doesn't that look delicious?  

This lunch was extra great because we were blessed with Auntie Winnie and Uncle Ken, and Joe and Emily who are back from Budapest!  I was especially excited to Joe, Emily, and their three adorable children because they were such an essential part to my life when I was in Budapest last year. They opened up their home to me, and always offered to be my dose of sanity (accompanied with dinner) when I needed one.

Me with Eli, Caroline, and William in Joe and Emily's apartment in Budapest.

It was great to see them and catch up.  As of last week they are now living in Washington D.C. again and will be there for a year before they move to Malaysia.  The joke between us is that I can't get enough of them so I follow them around the globe with every move they make.

When they lived in Washington D.C. before, Eli was born, and I traveled to D.C. with my high school class for a student program for a week.  Joe and Emily were gems of course, and took me and my friend Annaka out to lunch (at On The Border I believe).  Next,  Joe and Emily moved to Seattle where their cutie pie Caroline was born and I saw them for occasional Sunday lunches back in Washington. Even more crazy--Joe and Emily move to Budapest, sweet William is born, and I decide to go study abroad in Budapest! So, who knows?  I might be traveling to Malaysia, folks.  It's out of my control.

Playing in the lake is so fun.

I loved catching up with Rachel, Lauren, and Aubrey too--Sunday was just a great family day all around.  Sitting around the fire, watching Rachel and Uncle Brian create their paella masterpiece was so fun. However, they will tell you that they only do half the work---Auntie Terri prepares all of the ingredients.  

This spicy rice and vegetable medley is completed with chicken, shrimp, and spicy Mexican chor-ri-zo.
Or as Auntie Terri likes to call it, trizo.  (my Spanish minor pronunciation was kicking in :) )

I hadn't seen Rachel's adorable little girl, Elise, for the whole summer.  She can now say my name.  I'm ecstatic!! But, she's too shy to let me hear her. I'm crossing my fingers for next time.  She is so cute, I can't stand it.  She brought me sand cupcakes all day and teased everyone by running away from kisses.

Just look at Elise's response to being asked to smile as big as she can:



I think Steve was teaching her "up high, down low." Too cute. 




 All in all, it was just an awesome day at the lake.  Here are some snapshots of the festivities.


I love this picture. It completely captures the day's essence.  
William is walking now!  I almost died over how adorable his sun hat was. 


Finished product!



I'm so happy I caught this.  Elise running away from Grandpa's kisses!




Cutie pie Caroline.


The beautiful mommas with their beautiful babies. 








2 comments:

  1. Erika, it was SOOO great to see you and meet Steve! We've missed you and are so happy you stalk us all over the globe. I'm sure your next stop will be DC and then you better come to Malaysia. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, I LOVED seeing you guys! And I will definitely continue my track record of stalking your family. :) It makes my life more interesting. ;)

      Delete