Tuesday, August 13, 2013

40 days and 40 nights

Alright, you caught me. 40 days and 40 nights is definitely an exaggeration.  I've only been in the Midwest 11 days and 12 nights to be exact, but it sure feels like a whole lot longer.  About 29 days longer actually.

Let me give you the summary.

I arrived in Grand Rapids on August 1st.  That weekend I ran around planning a bachelorette party for one of my best friends, Jess Rinaldi.   Filled with homemade games, unpaid taxi rides, glow stick fiascos, and tons of laughter--the party was a success, if I do say so myself.  It was the perfect predecessor to make John and Jess' wedding even more enjoyable the following weekend.

Jess blindfolded, complete with red lipstick getting ready to play "Kiss the Groom."
Hand made by yours truly. 
I couldn't have pulled off such a great party without the help of my home-away-from-home Kloostra family (shout out!). Auntie Terri was the greatest and let me turn her kitchen upside down preparing all of the food until 2 a.m. for the weekend.  Don't worry, I cleaned up after myself so well, Auntie Terri said she couldn't have done it better herself (Yes! I'm serious--I have witnesses).  Mom, go ahead, leap for joy :).

After the party, I stayed another night at the Lake House. Can you blame me?

It's pretty great at the lake. 


So after a weekend that took about 10 days,  I finally made my trek down to Chicago to my new home.

On the road, there is this corner on I-94 that all of the sudden opens up to a view of the Chicago skyline.  I've driven this route a dozen times, but this one I soaked in.  I even took a picture.


I remember thinking, "This is it Erika. Welcome to your new home."































I got to see Steve for the first time in a month.  To welcome me, he surprised me with a motorcycle ride around the city that ended with a picnic by a sailboat marina on Lake Michigan where we watched the sky dim and city lights shine brighter and brighter from our blanket.  He's pretty great. The view was amazing, and I was filled with excitement thinking about all the exploring I will get to do in this great city.  


While I'm in this period of limbo, I'm staying with Steve's parents, the Griffith's, until I find an apartment.  They are overwhelming me with kindness, and I couldn't ask for more.  The four days I spent in Chicago before heading back up to Michigan for the wedding were a whirlwind.  I looked at 5 apartments, gained another roommate, and submitted a rental application for a 3 bedroom flat. I seriously am in love with the building of a woman named Marjorie.  She is an ex-New Yorker (is there such a thing?) with a ton of sass, a garden,  and a roof top paradise to boot.  I want to live there so bad, I dream about it. I would give anything to live in Leavitt Street with its trumpet vines and golden sunrooms. Nothing has materialized yet, apartment hunting is much harder than I anticipated.  But I can say I don't need my GPS to get downtown anymore.  I might conquer this city map after all. 

My whirlwind of apartment searching landed me in Grand Rapids once again for John and Jess' wedding.  I couldn't think of a better couple to stand up for.  I went to Hungary with both John and Jess where traveling and and a shared 12x4 ft. living space really solidified our friendship. 


Jess and I the day she got engaged (in Hungary!!).

She is one of my closest friends and I love her dearly.  Her and John are going to have an awesome life together and I couldn't be happier.  


When I get more pictures, I will post some of their DIY gray and yellow cuteness.  But let me say this: my shoes were so high, they were Nikki Minaj status.  Don't get me wrong, they were SO CUTE, but as soon as I put them on it was all I could do to not fall on my face.  


    
Nikki Minaj. Seriously.  My shoes were this high. 
They do look walkable in the picture, but trust me, those yellow buttercups are demons in disguise.

Biggest news from the wedding?  I reverted back to my athletic years and soared over all the single women and snatched the bouquet.  Minutes later Steve calmly picked the garter off the floor after it slipped out of all the rowdy bachelors' hands.  I might add this is our second wedding where we have each grabbed the two symbols of foretold matrimony.  Coincidence? I think not!  But, unfortunately I have no other details on that matter :).  I'll keep you posted.  




3 comments: