Tuesday, November 12, 2013

It Takes Thread to Tie the Knot: Part Two

(More pictures coming for this post, but I thought I would publish it anyways.)

I did promised that if you stayed tuned, I would fill you in on the rest of the engagement story.  I know, I know, three weeks of waiting isn't exactly "staying tuned."  Sorry about that.

So, to pick up where we left off: Steve made an amazing art installation, he proposed to me, and I said yes.

For you curious type, here is a shot of the ring.  Steve custom designed it and the wedding band.
 Despite my persistent persuading (read: begging), Steve refuses to show me his work.  


The story doesn't end there.


Stephen and I giddily frolic around until he tells me it's time to go to dinner.  When I walk outside…

There.

                              Is.

                                                        A.

                                                                                   LIMO.



                                                   Full length, black Escalade, waiting for us.  

Now, for some of you this might not be a big deal, but I have never felt more special.  For some reason, I think limos are thee fanciest things in the world.  There's so much room!  It's like driving a living room around! It's unnatural.

 Obviously, I was stoked about the limo--I could not believe it.   But the limo was merely a medium that took us to yet another surprise.  Steve had so many surprises up his sleeve this day it was ridiculous. He had made dinner reservations at Geja's, a fondue restaurant in Lincoln Park.  Like everything from the night, this too was significant.

 Background: for our 2 year anniversary,  I had set up my own little fondue restaurant in my house.  I lit candles everywhere, cut up fruit--kiwi, mangos, and strawberries, even rolled up cookie dough balls and set up a chocolate fondue-for-two. Because this was one of Steve's favorite dates, he wanted to reference it during our engagement, and what better way than to dine at an intimate, candlelit,  three course fondue restaurant complete with a Spanish guitarist!?  We dined like royalty.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it. 

Having a full, fondue meal is quite an ordeal.  After two and a half hours of dipping, frying, and drooling, Steve and I were ready to continue.  What comes next is perhaps my favorite part of the night.  I mean, besides committing to spending the rest of my life with this guy I love and all that jazz.

From dinner, the limo again picks us up.  Successfully romantic, I thought we were going to call it a night--plus, I was itching to call everyone to announce our news.  But…Steve wasn't done just yet.  Very casually, Steve said, "Before we call everyone, I was thinking we could end the night with a glass of wine at City Winery.  That's kind of been our place since you moved to Chicago, and I thought it'd be a special finale."  Thinking that sounded normal and inviting, I agreed and proceeded to enjoy the rest of our luxury ride.  I way underestimated this guy.

Upon arriving, I obliviously walk into the dining area of City Winery ready to enjoy a glass of wine, but instead of finding a table for two…I'm surprised by a huge GATHERING OF MY AND STEVE'S CLOSEST FRIENDS!!!!  I was so excited and surprised that I got tears in my eyes (again).  Embarrassing? I'll let you decide.

My college housemates, Jackie and Meghan. The best!  We missed our coastal partners Becky and Steffanie.
Special people from all over came together to congratulate us. My college housemates made it from Grand Rapids, my dear friends Jess and John came up from southern IL, and Steve's best friends from college and dental school all made it for the surprise.   So many people came in throughout the night, it was was like a new surprise every thirty minutes! Amazing. Steve had arranged the whole thing by creating a Facebook event to invite our friends and give them notice of when and where the party was taking place.  Everyone was sworn to secrecy.  I correlate my lack of communication with all my friends for two weeks with their adamancy to not loose self control and spill the beans.

Steve's friends from dental school with their awesome girlfriends.  

Perfecting the engagement story in process.  Jess, John, and Kelsey (John's younger sister) were the perfect audience.



Possibly the biggest surprise though, came when I had settled down and started catching up with my college roommates.  I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around to see none other than Annaka Erickson, my best friend from back home!!!  She of course was immediately met with screaming  and strangling.


Annaka sneakily flew in all the way FROM L.A. to surprise and share the special weekend with me.  Apart from the surprise party, Annaka stayed in my apartment with me for the weekend and we scampered all over Chicago packing in a complete driving tour, moscow mules, deep dish pizza, and even the zoo!

Part 3 of city tour: Marina and northern skyline.

From zoos to rings, from laughs to tears, from old friends to new, this weekend was filled with all kinds of wonderful.  To everyone who helped make this special occasion even more remarkable, a huge, smothering, slobbery THANK YOU from both Steve and me.  We love you all.


Also, thank you to Stephen, the star who put this all together and pulled off one crazy, meaningful, surprise-filled, proposal.  You're nothing but extraordinary; I knew I wanted to say yes even before you pulled all these crazy stunts. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment